The Inclusive Hockey program is intended to promote hockey as a means of providing an enjoyable and rewarding learning experience for all players regardless of their abilities, to improve and maintain their fitness level and to lead an active life in a non competitive environment.
Players are eligible to participate as a Royal if they are between the ages of 5- 17 years old and are unable to participate in a competitive team environment for any reason. Players will range in physical capability from being able to skate unsupported to requiring a sledge.
Players are introduced to the Ice in the beginning of the season where coaches are focused on getting players used to wearing all appropriate Hockey gear and open play, with a transition to mid season for focus on intro to hockey level drills.
Parents will have the opportunity to watch their player from the stands, as the Coaches and Bench parents take accountability for engaging the players in the team atmosphere on the Ice.
FMMHA Jr. Oil Barons, Female Huskies, and WBHL U15 and U13 teams will be scheduled to Skate with the royals to support the players and coaches, and give all players. Offering the opportunities for leadership, improve their own skills and become role models in the community.
Inclusion Royals 2021-2022 plan looks as follows
- One Ice session per week starting in October and continuing through to the end of March.
- October - Focused on developing a team atmosphere and getting comfortable in gear
- November - December - Developing skating skills - eliminating Skating Aides where we can.
- January - Participate in MHW Activities
- January - March building on Intro to Hockey Skills.
Parents will be required to
- Provide all hockey equipment for their child and assist in dressing them in the change room prior to each ice time
- Allow the team helpers to get the players onto the Bench and on the Ice and watch from the spectators area